Thursday 10 June 2010

Visas, Visas, Visas...

What pain they are... I should be getting back my passport any day now.... *fingers crossed*, being the controlling type I called the Tanzanian High Comission yesterday to see if they could give me some indication as to when I would get my passport back, seeing as I'm so nervous about it. (rightly so if I techinically need it to go visit people or just drive into France or Germany...). Anyways the cheery man at the other end of the telephone was happy to put my mind at rest, so after asking for my name I began to hear the flicking of paper/files, then I was asked my name again. I can understand that, I know when I'm looking for thing I suddenly remember I no longer know what thing I was looking for!

Though when additional questions begin to come such as "what colour was the envelope you sent it in", "when was it sent", "was your payment by post or cash", "how much was the payment for" I began to get slightly more concerned as to the location of my passport. I mean how many British Passports can there be kicking around the THC (in Geneva for those of you who are British readers)??? Eventually the lovely chap muttered a very quick "we send today" and hung up. So now I just get to worry as to whether it turns up this morning or not!!!!! Kind of wishing I had the time to take a day off work and just drive the length of the country to get the visa done in one day than messing around with the post! All will be sorted one way or another in the next few days :-)

On other visa notes, been having trouble with one of my volunteers from Canada, it would seem that their high commission disagree with the one in London as to the requirements to issue the necessary visa! Ah well at least by the end of this summer we'll have paperwork in place to get volunteers a visa issued whereever they might find themselves in the world!

On the plus side, none of the rest of the team have been having any problems getting their visas sorted, from here on its the easy stretch (at least in my eyes) of deciding what to take and packing bags. Also includes for me deciding which books I want to buy in London Heathrow for the trip.

After a long silence period (probably due to exams, or just forgetting they were going to africa this summer), my inbox has seen a trickle of emails coming most days of the week from the volunteers of Tanzania Group 2, each with their own questions about the trip, packing, travel arrangements, money, and more!